Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Design Complete

Today I finalized both a design document and technical document for Rocket Potato. I now know everything the game will contain, what the assets must be able to do and how it will all be put together. I've drawn UML diagrams and mapped out specifications for platform-specific system requirements (ok I mostly guessed those). I've freshened up my project management skills and resisted the urge to draw up a network diagram, which would be silly, since I'm the only developer on this project.

So, here's a basic rundown. Arpy will have 3 types of objectives to fulfill: fetch, rescue and escape. There are multiple objectives for each type, and one of them is randomly generated each time you press play. The level begins with a short narrative and you begin controlling Arpy in his living room. From there, you must venture out into the street. The street is the main level of the game. It will be the largest and leads to every other level that has to do with the current objective. Because it is the major playing field, it will have some random elements to keep players on their toes. I've designed 10 different types of platforms and a few physics-based obstacles, as well as a series of enemies for Arpy to fight, including one boss.

The game will also be localized to German, Swedish Chef and my own comical mix of German and English I call Germanish. I've also started a proper project documentation file like we used to in school. Doing everything right, I hope. When the game is complete I plan on making the 3 project pdfs public so that maybe other new indies can learn from my development process, as I have learned from others..

I have a set of milestones ready and waiting. Now, I can get cracking on assets.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment